First time using Tibco Spotfire softwares can be a bit confusing, and the not very comprehensive manuals is not really helping too..
Before you go reading any further, take a note that this How To is for those who want to open data from the “File – Open From – Database” menu on the Spotfire Client.
If you want to open data for developing dashboards you should prefer to create Datasource objects, Column objects, and Information Link objects from the Information Designer menu.
So assuming that there is an Oracle DB server somewhere and you want to connect to that from your Spotfire Client installed on your PC. This means that your PC is a client. Connecting to the DB server from a third party software requires you to install an Oracle Client.
So the first step will be to instal Oracle Client.
- Download and Install latest version of Oracle Client, for me its ODAC1120320_x64
Configuring database connection in Spotfire requires a server name so we have to make an alias for the Oracle database host to be connected.
Create an alias in the Oracle Client for a database host:
- Create an alias in tnsnames.ora in client folder:
- Open C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora, add the following lines:
<tns name> =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <host ip>)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = <SID or service name>))
- Open cmd
- Sqlplus <user>@<tns name>
- Enter password
Connect using OracleClient Data Provider:
- On Spotfire:
- Open from Database
- Choose OracleClient Data Provider
- Open Configuration window, enter the TNS name/alias into Oracle Server Name, enter the Username and Password.
- Click OK to save Configuration
- Click OK again.
Connect using ODBC Data Provider:
- Create Datasource:
- Open Control Panel – Adminitrative Tools – Data Sources (ODBC)
- Add – Oracle in OraClient11g_home1
- Define Data Source Name
- Type the TNS Service Name
- Type the Username
- Test Connection
- On Spotfire:
- Open from Database
- Choose ODBC Data Provider
- Enter the ODBC object created at step 3
Assuming that you already have a Spotfire Server running at:
To be able to access the library via web browser you need to install Spotfire Web Player.
Because Spotfire Web Player is build using ASP.NET and runs on IIS so we must first install IIS and ASP.NET Framework.
Installing IIS & ASP.NET Framework:
- Open Control Panel – Programs and Features or appwiz.cpl.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off
- Tick the following features:
- Internet Information Services – Web Management Tools, IIS Management Console, IIS Management Service (optional – not sure)
- World Wide Web Services – Application Development Features
- ASP.NET (it will automatically tick all other dependencies)
- Go to cmd.exe, right click and choose “Run as Administrator”
- Type %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe –i
- Restart IIS Server (go to Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, there is a Restart link on top right corner of the local IIS server)
Installing Spotfire Web Player:
- Run the installer and follow the wizard
- When you prompted to specify the name of the Virtual Directory it means the domain name or part of URL to the server used when pointing out Spotfire Web Player files. It is recommended to leave this as “SpotfireWeb”.
- Specify the port (must be different from the server port (8181), and IIS default port (80)), for example use “9090”
- Specifiy the Spotfire Server URL, in this case it will be:
- Continue until finish.
Accessing Spotfire Web Player:
- Open web browser, type the Web Player URL, in this case:
- Login using your Spotfire Server login or you can add more user from your Spotfire Server.
Notes: Make sure the Spotfire Web Player have the same (or higher) version than the Spotfire Server or it won’t be able to display the visualisation.
Connecting to an Oracle MYSQL Server from Spotfire Datasource & Information Link objects is easy to do. It requires no installation and and only a few additional settings on the Spotfire Server.
Here is the steps:
- Download the latest MYSQL Connector library for java:
- Place the library into Spotfire Server tomcat lib folder, in my case it is:
3. Open the “Configure TIBCO Spotfire Server” app:
- Open Configuration Tab – Data Source Templates
- Enable MYSQL5
- Save Configuration
4. Restart the Spotfire Server. Go to Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Services (or simply type services.msc at the Windows Run window), search for TIBCO Spotfire Server and click Restart.
It’s done. Open the Spotfire Client, connect to the server, open Information Designer, Setup Data Source. MYSQL5 Data Source Type will be available on the dropdown list.
MYSQL (DataDirect) Data Source Type only supports MYSQL Commercial version, doesn’t work with the Community version.
Using IntellijIDEA 12 on Mac you can try for 30 days free. However it doesn’t have to live that short. After it dies (expires), don’t uninstall, instead you can reset it through these easy steps:
That’s it, relaunch and it starts young again.